Film capacitors for electronic equipment use
High safety and long life thanks to a built-in fuse function
The damage caused by over-voltages on non-fused material is far more extensive than that suffered by fused material. Therefore Panasonic's film capacitors are the ideal solution for high stress applications.
Comparison between general and patterned metallization:
- Small break down
- Short circuit mode with risk of smoking or burning out
- Fuse function isolates the failed cell, and finally leads to open circuit
- Failed cell is isolated
Panasonic’s In-house technology: Patterned metallized polypropylene film capacitors
On a very thin layer of vapor deposited aluminum, segments are made within capacitor’s dielectric material.
Those segments localize the failure caused by over voltage, therefore the damage is only limited in a few section of the capacitor.
When too many of the areas fail in a very short period of time, capacitor will then open in a safe manner.
A demonstration video is available for your to take a look (see right side):
- We first apply high voltage to a dielectric material with Panasonic fuse pattern.
- Then we apply the same voltage to the raw material without fuse pattern.
- As you can easily recognize, the damage caused on non-fuse material is far more extensive than that of a fuse material.
Thanks to this “Fuse Function” technology, Panasonic film capacitors are ideal solution for high-stress applications that require high safety and high reliability,
such as automotive applications (OBC, DC/DC converters, inverters for xEV etc.), industrial power supplies, solar inverters etc.
Download our promotion documents
|Film Capacitors Catalog||Catalog||20MB||15.11.2022||English|
|Interference Suppression Capacitors (safety class X2) ECQUA||Flyer, Leaflet||812KB||19.01.2021||English|
|Panasonic - Film capacitor - Selection tool||Software, Support Tools||2MB||17.10.2022||English|
A typical circuit for audio systems
Surface Mount SMD film (chip) type capacitors are ideal for coupling for DC cutting of amplifiers and output filtering of class D amplifiers.
ECHU type construction
A Number of layers
approx. 400 ~ 1500
B Element composition
Dielectric : PPS film
Inner electrode: deposited aluminum
C Outer electrode composition
- First layer: brass
- Middle layer: conductive paste
- Third layer: solder plating (Pb-free)
Comparison with other technologies
The higher precision, better stability and lower distortion of Panasonic's chip type film capacitors contribute to producing a good sound.
|Capacitor technology||Dielectric||Dielectric constant||Capacitance tolerance||Dissipation factor (1kHz)||Dielectric absorption|
|Panasonic film capacitor (ECHUX)||PPS||3.0||+/- 2%||0.03%||0.05%|
|Other film capacitor (PMLCAP)||Polymer||3.0||+/- 5%||1.0%||1.0%|
|MLCC C0G||TiO2／CaZrO3||20 ~ 300||+/- 5%||0.003%||0.6%|
|MLCC X7R||BaTiO3||1000 ~ 20000||+/- 10%||0.8%||2.5%|
|Item (see below gallery for more details)||Panasonic film||Other film||MLCC C0G||MLCC X7R|
|1. Temperature characteristics||Good||Not good||Good||Not good|
|2. Frequency characteristics||Good||Not good||Good||Not good|
|3. Piezoelectric effect||Good||Good||Good||Not good|
|4. THD (Third Harmonic Distortion)||Good||Good||Not good||Not good|
- ECHU type: an ideal solution for an audio phase compensation circuit
- ECPU type: an ideal solution for an audio coupling circuit (analog amplifier)
- ECHU type: an ideal solution for audio noise filtering (headphone driver circuit)