HL-D3 measurement sensor
High-precision measurement sensor
- High-precision measurement sensor with a resolution of 1μm.
- The functionality of 500 displacement sensors in a device that is just 12.5mm wide!
- Height measurement range (i.e. sensing range on the Z axis): 50 ± 10mm
- Center point of the height measurement range: 50mm
- Width measurement range (i.e. sensing range on the X axis): 12.5mm
- Sampling rate: max. 80µs
- Resolution: 1µm
Four measuring modes for different requirements
With the HL-D3 measurement sensor heads, you can choose one of four sensing modes to cater to a variety of measurement needs, including high-speed sensing in production lines and high-precision detection at workstations outside production lines.
Multi-select displacement sensing
The displacement sensor senses up to 10 measurement points specified on the X axis and completes the judgment at super-high speed.
Whole synchronized measurement
The displacement sensor performs sensing of all target objects with the same sensitivity adjustment throughout the entire width measurement range (X axis). This mode is suitable for the sensing of fast-moving objects.
Multi-zone beam control
High-precision sensing is achieved by segmenting the width measurement range (X axis) to optimize light intensity. This mode is suitable for the sensing of objects with varied glossiness or color.
Constant pitch measurement
Sensing is performed at even intervals upon adjusting the sensitivity per the pitch specified along the width measurement range (X axis). High-speed sensing is made possible by the reduced number of sensing points.
The innovative optical system allows the HL-D3 to work with parallel beams. Parallel beams reduce the area of shadow that appears when light shines on the target object, thus making it possible to sense the shape of the target object more accurately than with non-parallel beams.
Multiple shape calculation functions and two judgment outputs
The HL-D3 series calculates the shapes, including the height difference, width, and cross-sectional area, from the shape waveform based on the received light. At the same time, the displacement sensor uses these calculation results to instantaneously make High / Go / Low judgments based on the current upper and lower limits (only height calculation and step calculation are possible in multi-select displacement sensing mode).
Thanks to the fact that the sensor is equipped with two outputs, different shape calculations can be performed for each output. Alternatively, two sensor heads can be connected and every head has its own output.
Shape calculation is performed using the representative values extracted from the calculation area specified by the set parameters. This technique has the benefit of tolerating shifts in the position of the objects to be measured as long as they are within the calculation area.
- Height calculation
The height difference between the reference value and measured value is calculated.
- Width calculation
The width is calculated from 2 measured values
- Step calculation
The height difference is calculated from 2 measured values
- Cross-sectional area calculation
The HL-D3 calculates the cross-sectional area defined by the reference value
Setup and monitoring software HL-D3SMI
For easy parameter setup and monitoring of measuring and judgment results, install the software HL-D3SMI on a PC (compatible operating systems: Microsoft Windows® Vista Business 32 bit SP or higher, Microsoft Windows® 7 Professional 32 bit / 64 bit, Microsoft Windows® 8 Pro 32 bit / 64 bit) and connect the HL-D3C controller via a USB cable. The shape waveform based on the saved data can be reproduced on screen for further analysis.
Main screen (1)
The main screen is where you set up the controller operations and the parameters and individual functions for the sensor head.
Received light intensity image screen (2)
Here you can check the light-receiving status of the 2D image sensor built into the sensor head as well as the shape waveform of the measured values.
- Identification of the measured point based on the displayed displacement shape waveform obtained from the light intensity waveform
- Display of the calculated values of height difference, width, and cross-sectional area on the screen
- Display of the displacement value of each sensing point in multi-select displacement sensing mode (3)
- During sensing, displacement shape waveform data, calculated measured values, and judgment results are being stored in the memory built into the controller.
- 3D representation of the shape on the basis of the stored data.
- Replay of stored data on the screen at a later time
- Waveform display and analysis possible with a spreadsheet software based on the data saved in CSV file format (4)
Details on the measurement mode “Multi-select displacement sensing”
Conventional 2D displacement sensors produce the measurement values of the specified points after sensing the entire width measurement range (X axis). This is unsuitable for high-speed sensing.
The HL-D3 series makes the processing more efficient by sensing only the displacements at the specified points. This feature enables super-fast measurement results from sensing to calculation and judgment. At each point the sensor also adjusts the sensitivity to ensure not only speed, but also high precision.
- High-speed sampling: max. speed 80μs (for 2 points specified)
- Up to 10 sensing points can be specified
- Measurements of specified points can be buffered
- Height, step calculation, and judgment results can be output
When the surface is rough, such as with cut metal, sensing of a single point will result in errors due to the uneven surface.
The wide-cell function expands the sensing points for the light receiving side and obtains the mean value (or maximum or minimum value, depending on the setting) to improve the stability of the measurements.
Details on the measurement mode “Multi-zone beam control”
Conventional 2D displacement sensors uniformly use the same light intensity adjustment for the entire width measurement range (X axis). When there are parts with significantly differing reflection properties, the received light intensity becomes saturated or insufficient, thus preventing the sensor from acquiring effective measurement results.
The HL-D3 series breaks down the width measurement range (X axis) into small segments and adjusts the emission for each segmented unit (called "light intensity adjustment unit") for optimal sensitivity in order to achieve stable, high-precision sensing. This is called multi-zone beam control (MZBC).
- Stable sensing is possible even when parts of the target object reflect the light differently, e.g. when the target object has both metal and resin parts or when the profile consists of flat and sloped parts.
- High-precision sensing with a resolution of 1μm (average number of samples: 64 with average height measurement)
- Calculation and judgment results of width, step, and cross-sectional area can be output
Checking of screw heads
Missing and loose screws can be detected by sensing the displacement of the screw head from the reference plane. The HL-D3 provides judges the sensing results as High / Go / Low judgment depending on the upper and lower limit you have set. When two sensing points are used, in-line testing can be performed with a sampling rate of 80μs.
Detecting misaligned pins on surface-mounted components
The HL-D3 can even sense the tiny pins of surface-mounting components. The measured values can be managed by setting the reference plane and pins as sensing points.
Measuring objects with a sloped profile
The HL-D3 can accurately sense the shapes of the thread and black insulation of a miniature bulb.
A measurement systems consists of the following items
- The HL-D3C controller
- Sensor head (HL-D301□)
- Extension cable for sensor head (2m, 5m, 10m, 20m; HL-D3CCJ□, optional)
- RS232C cable to connect the controller to a control device, e.g. a PLC
- USB cable to connect the controller to a PC
- PC with setup and monitoring software HL-D3MSI
|Type||Model No.||Sensing range on the Z axis||Sensing range on the X axis||Resolution (height direction)||Laser class|
|Diffuse reflection||HL-D301B||50 ± 10mm||12.5mm (when sensing range on the Z axis = 50mm)||1μm||Class 2 (IEC / JIS / FDA, Laser Notice No. 50)|
|HL-D301C||Class 3R (IEC / JIS / FDA, Laser Notice No. 50)|
|HL-D3C||N-channel FET (judgment output, alarm output)|
|Sensor head extension cable||HL-D3CCJ2||Length: 2m||Cab tire cable with connector on both ends.
|Catálogo Resumen Sensores||Data sheet||10.2 MB||14.02.2020||Spanish|
|Data sheet HL-D3||Data sheet||2.4 MB||08.01.2016||English|
|HL-D3 2D Data||CAD||21.5 KB||17.06.2016|
|HL-D3 3D Data||CAD||183.6 KB||17.06.2016|
|HL-D3 User's Manual, ME-HLD3-12||Manual||8.4 MB||19.12.2017||English|
|HL-D301B / HL-D301C Instruction Manual, CMJE-HLD301(05)||Manual||781.4 KB||01.06.2016||English|
|HL-D3API User's Manual, ME-HLD3API-09||Manual||1.2 MB||11.04.2017||English|
|HL-D3C Instruction Manual, CMJE-HLD3(04)||Manual||864.6 KB||01.06.2016||English|
|Raccolta Applicazioni Sensori||Data sheet||24.2 KB||20.12.2018||Italian|
|Selection guide measurement sensors||Catalogue||10.4 MB||English|